Wednesday, October 25, 2006

David Swan

Been thinking of writing this for a while but time hasn't permitted me to write a new post.

I am not sure how many of you have come across the works of Nathaniel Hawthorne ...
He was an American novelist and short story writer.

We had his short story - David Swan - in one of our literature books in the 10th standard. It is a remarkable story ... umm ... it may be easier to take the gist out of the story itself .. and i quote:

"We can be but partially acquainted even with the events which actually influence our course through life, and our final destiny. There are innumerable other events--if such they may be called--which come close upon us, yet pass away without actual results, or even betraying their near approach, by the reflection of any light or shadow across our minds. Could we know all the vicissitudes of our fortunes, life would be too full of hope and fear, exultation or disappointment, to afford us a single hour of true serenity. This idea may be illustrated by a page from the secret history of David Swan."

The other day, on orkut, I realized that every item that we enter in our profile under interests etc. becomes a hyperlink that allows us to find other members with similar interests. This intrigued me, and as I had some time available, I decided to check on the results for the people who liked the same books that I do.

The lists were huge, and after clicking on a couple of profiles, I realized (with some sadness), that there was no point in pinging any of these people .. for given my history of maintaining (or not maintaining) my existing friendships, it was hardly logical to try and acquire new ones.

I couldn't help thinking however of all the people in the world I haven't met who would have been as good friends as the ones I already have ... of all the people that I shall never know ... whom I might have liked knowing, and of all those people who shall go through life without the privilege of having had my exalted company =/;D

That is what reminded me of David Swan ... not with respect to events .. but with respect to people ... there are so many people that we almost meet and we don't .. so many people that we do meet but never really get to know ... perhaps because we are too caught up with our daily lives ... or maybe because of certain social prejudices ... out of distrust of strangers perhaps ...

And that made me think of the friends that I do have ... the ones whose presence we take for granted ... the ones that have always been there. Isn't it mind boggling ... the probability that this person would ever be in your life given a slightly different set of circumstances?

Here is an idea ... as usual, the bulb lit up as I was typing ... and I'll probably be too lazy to do anything about it myself:
Can you think of the first time that you ever met some of your friends? Recall the circumstances that led to the meeting and calculate, what are the chances that you'd actually ever have met!!!

(oops!!! the language is a little convoluted up yonder... especially at the end ... but try and get the soul of it without getting into the language)

5 comments:

  1. You know what - I loved your post. Very busy at the moment, but whenever I have time, I will surely think of the chances I wouldn;t have met my friends...if I forget, do remind me. Cheers to your post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks .. shall remind you ...
    tried to leave a comment on ur blog yesterday but i have shifted to blogger beta and it doesn't allow me to comment any more ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Think abt this..i navigated thru a number of blogs to reach urs..i wonder what's the probability of that happening..

    anyway, i won't think abt it now..just want to tell u that i liked this post a lot..

    and as for the question u hav posted...i did think of the times that i "first" met some of my best friends...and like u this thought process started on ORKUT itself..when i was writing testimonials for my friends..

    all said, keep posting and i'll keep coming back..

    ciao,
    Shraddha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am really glad that the post struck a note with you Shraddha :)

    shall look forward to your comments going forward!

    "that was it" ... good thing the comments are working now ... i was worried that having shifted to beta i'd be unable to comment :)

    ReplyDelete