Monday, July 10, 2006

I am with you Zidane!!!!

I have written about this before ... in our current world, sitting on the fence and not having an opinion are so much in fashion that we appear to have just a social concience at the loss of the personal one.

A lot of people think that what Zidane did was wrong, and I can empathize with their thought structure. However, I personally think that it is one of the traits that makes great people great. If I were to be on the field playing the world cup football final, with the entire world watching me, the desire to be socially and politically correct would be an overpowering force to reckon with. I doubt I would have the personal strength to do what Zidane did.

It reminds me of a song - The Coward of the County by Kenny Rogers - ... and I quote "... I should hope you understandSometimes you gotta fight when you're a man..."

I admire Zidane now not only for being one of the greatest footballers ever but also for having the guts to do what he felt was right irrespective of what the rest of the world would have to say about it.

My friend commented last night that because of this one action, Zidane stopped short of becoming God.
I think this one action was the last step that made him God.

If I understand it right, even religion does not judge an action to be good or bad, independent of the intention with which it is performed and I hope people stop crucifying Zidane based on their notions of social propriety.

3 comments:

  1. I sure as hell hope this is who I think it is ...
    else life just got a little more interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. well for that ur gonna have to hazard a guess dont u think?
    :*

    ReplyDelete