Sunday, June 25, 2006

Itz Poetry Tonite

Was rummaging through some old papers when I came across a file cover that has scraps of papers, drawings and god knows what else, going back all the way to my school days. Found a lot of poems there … used to fancy myself as a poet and an artist in those days …. Typing them out for posterity tonight …

The first one below I believe is the first attempt I ever made at serious poetry … previous to that I was into limericks.


Revelation

Once upon a time
In a kingdom by the sea,
I went for a walk
Searching for me.

In my pocket I though
I had the key,
That would help me unlock
A little of me.

Then a wonder I saw
I had in me,
That the little of me
Was deeper than the sea!

---
Sounds stupid? Well, it was years ago and I still remember how good I felt on writing it !

The next one is slightly darker if not better.

Guiding light

Darker than the night
And darker still
Yet on a whim I fly
No place to go, no place to stay –
Not even a place to die.

Brightness …
is a thing of the past
And in the distance
Only smoke –
No fire.

Oh God!
That I may see,
Before the darkness
Overwhelms me,
Light my funeral pyre.
--------

And here’s one more …. It had been raining for ages, and during the day, I had crossed a grave yard. Later that night, I was imagining what it would feel like to be sitting on one of those tomb stones …

Just Sitting

Rain falling off a tree
Falls drip-drip-drip
Dripping endlessly.

Beneath me an old casket lies
Carrying a carrion
Denied to the flies.

---------------
I remember leaving it at this point because it was getting too icky …

Now here’s a smart ass one:

You're right

Maybe you’re right
And maybe I am wrong
‘Cause might is right
And you’re strong.

--------

Like this one:

Happiness?

A little glow-worm twinkling merrily in a dark forest.
How obviously happy ………………………………..
But why is your fire cold?
If you are so happy, why glow green …
Not gold?

-------

Ok, this is beginning to get tedious … but I might as well type out the rest … dunno when I might lose these again for another eon.

Traveller

Flow with the light
And you flow away from the source.
Flow with the river
And you’ll fall into the sea of course.

But, Oh! Traveler on the river of Delight,
How may I know your Plight?

When you reach
The end of your way,
Would you be so kind,
As to send a letter this way?

----

Another from the introspection series :D … I like this one.

This one has no name ...

Deeper and deeper as you go,
Before greatness you do bow.

And then a little deeper into your self,
Beyond the reaches of power and pelf.

And even as you sink you rise,
The more you know, the less you surmise.

---

One more … getting repetitive here ...


Nameless again ..

In the gloaming, In the night
I wait for this one delight
This moment of peace
This moment of quiet.

That I may seek
That I may find
That which I seek
In my mind.

-----

Positively bored now, and the Argentina mexico match is about to begin .. however just this last one… I wrote this after a good friend’s girl died on the last day of school in a car crash while going home from the boarding … have never been comfortable with the thought of dying so young ...

Trudge! Don’t ever hop and skip along
Till death creeping behind you comes,
And rings your final gong.

2 comments:

  1. Read them all.. and found them stirring my thoughts.. and this happened after a long time. Thanks.

    And then i just sat here and wrote this after reading your first poem again..

    ---
    I looked some more, into the heart of me
    That which I knew the best..
    And wondered again, which one is scary
    The depth of sea or unfolding me..

    In the path I have treaded so long for now
    How many times I surprise myself
    When I try to see you and your world with interest
    But make it a mirror , to reflect me and more of me..

    When I was small I used to think, what a gracious soul I am
    And in that self, did I lose that soul
    That had so many friends around
    Now when I look around myself.. what do I see?
    The depths of sea and the deeper me


    And again I wonder..
    which one scares you more?
    --

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Thanks for the comment. I also like the extension to the poem that you have provided here ... all the more since you did it on the spur of the moment.

    My poems tend to be a little abrupt because I really believe in the zen way of things... like they say, a finger is needed to point at the moon, but once the moon is recognized, the finger can be forgotten.

    Am glad my poems could be such a pointing finger for you ...

    ReplyDelete