Monday, December 25, 2006

alone again

Haven't felt like writing for a while. Started writing a post on euthanasia a while ago but deleted it when I was halfway through it. I don't generally save posts as drafts to work on them later and post them - which is why, a lot of thoughts go unrecorded ... but then on the bright side, most of the posts that do end up getting written also end up being quite candid.

Parents left today. They are still around in fact. I came back home once they went past security, and they were to call once they boarded ... and they haven't yet ... (mom called just as I typed in that last ellipse ... they are boarding)... came back home, and decided to blog before I get back to my work ... which has been interrupted so often of late because of various personal problems ...

Living alone is a habit. And, like all habits, once broken, it takes time to get back to it. Coming home to an empty house, cooking for yourself ... I am not really cribbing. I love the solitude... I love the time it gives me to think ... uninterrupted ... it is because of these long periods of solitude perhaps that I am so comfortable with myself. Many of my friends tend to call on me regularly whenever they are alone because their family is out of town .. and many of them ask how I manage ... I don't manage. I thrive.

Getting back to the other side of the tale, it is difficult to let parents leave. Life has almost come full circle. I still remember the days when dad would take me out to get my shopping done before leaving for the hostel, and how we would sit together and figure out a budget and dad would give me enough money to last a while ... he lived in Arunachal for most of his life ... and the postal services were notoriously inconsistent, so I never knew when I'd be receiving my next draft ...
Now, I generally take them to a mall, get them what they need, and somethings that they aren't quite that certain about but I feel they need, and then I figure out the budget with them, and give dad the cash he wants, the tickets, the hotel reservations, checking and double checking, ensuring his cell phone is topped up, that they have all the contact numbers, that my friends will be there in case they need some help ... all the while, giving them the respect and sense of independence that they always allowed me ...

So there... alone again ... this time though, it probably wont mean that the number of posts will increase for I have tonnes of work to catch up on .... for now, let me enjoy the chill in the air ... and the sound of the ceiling fan (which I refuse to switch off despite the current weather) ...

I'd have watched TV .... But watching TV isn't half as much fun when you don't have to convince someone why the program that you intend to watch is any better than the program that they want to watch :)

3 comments:

  1. hey, i like your thoughts...being alone is often times interesting. Life is a full circle, no doubts..what parents did for you, you gotta do the same to them...even if it means taking them out for a walk, holding their hands, to ensure they are well protected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you as far watching TV goes... good one

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks "that was it". have been keeping very busy so haven't commented on your recent posts though I have skimmed through some of them ....

    Thanks rambler ... good to have a new regular reader :) haven't had time to check your blog out yet!

    ReplyDelete