Saturday, March 03, 2007

restless.

We are caught...
No. I cannot pretend to represent any one other than myself.

Every generation must have this problem - that of being caught between the old and the new. Things change ... and not always for the better.

I come from a time (or perhaps this has more to do with the sort of education we were given) when the biggest things in life weren't the size of your car, the carpet area of your house ... or how many frills it has which you shall ever use.

The reason I chose to be an engineer was to be able to create. The reason I chose to be a computer engineer (and perhaps the reason for my love of the subject in the first place) was that - at least on first impression - it seems to give a more immediate sense of fulfillment. Things get done faster ... and there are no bricks. So, to build your bridge, you need to begin by designing the brick itself. So, at the end of each day, you have the satisfaction of having done something new. of having overcome a problem, of having provided a solution, of being a step closer to your goal ... immediate gratification perhaps if you would like to call it so.

However, having migrated to a city, I too am caught up in the same things that I mention so disdainfully to begin with. Though I earn way more than my parents ever did, at the end of the day, everything seems to cost that much more ... so you are no better off...

These may be contentious things. What prompted me to start blogging tonight, despite having a terrible headache and a stomach ache to go with it is that I came across the biography of Bob Dylan on the History channel.

What I say may not be true for millions of people around the world. However, in my protected life (I have a family, a good job, a house over my head, 3 square meals a day if I choose to have them or have the time, my biggest problem in life is trying to ensure that I get enough sleep and some time to exercise), I don't see it being very easy to really go do something remarkable.

In a world where not a stone has been left unturned, most of the challenges left are the ones that we ourselves have created. War, terrorism, war on terrorism, crime, corruption, religious hatred (an oxymoron?) ... mostly created by us - to keep us preoccupied it would appear. But what has happened is that there are almost no significant and meaningful challenges to come by (easily). There are no new lands to find. There are no new hills to climb. Someone has pooped on the moon even.

When the big challenges disappear, what you are left with is a sheltered life. And the challenges are the small challenges - the terrible traffic, the quarrelsome auto-wallahs, the corrupt bureaucracy, the price of onions, the dust on the road, the power cuts - and half of these again may not really exist in our lives. Just watching TV, reading the paper and raising our blood pressure. Not enough challenges.

That leaves us with just one avenue ... work. What do you do? How much do you do? What do you accomplish? How much do you accomplish? But is that enough?

I am not a teacher. At the end of the day, unlike my parents, I won't have a list of kids I transformed in to men. Unlike doctors I won't have a list of people I saved. Unlike a nurse, I won't have a list of people I would have helped ... and I wouldn't have conquered any new lands either.

So, at the end of the day, what would I have done that wouldn't be for me or my immediate family? Something that would make a difference to the way people live? Not to be remembered perhaps - like the inventor of the wheel - but something that touches lives everywhere and makes them better?

Isn't it a terrible waste of all the faculties that we have been gifted with ... if all we can use it for is our own personal benefit?

I don't even know the right question to ask.

??????

5 comments:

  1. and here is a first ... commenting on my own post.

    I generally read my posts after I publish them ... and I know that they aren't always strung together very well ... this however takes the cake for being the most disconnected post ... I wouldn't want my language teacher at school to ever read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) and here is the second...it ain't as disconnected as you think it is...just that maybe you really were restless while writing...you know, with so much of energies within, it sometimes become difficult to tone them down. Picking hobbies is a great thing, but more than that, doing what you dream of, gives you satisfaction..even if it is climbing mountains or rally driving or something as crazy as clicking strangers...you know I always long for this kinda' crazyness...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You still can touch lives and make it better you know and you dont even have to be a teacher or a doc... jus be urself. You have no clue how much people want and love others for [b]who[/b] they are rather than [b]what[/b]

    Little drops of water,
    little grains of sand,
    make the mighty ocean
    and the beauteous land.

    And the little moments,
    humble though they may be,
    make the mighty ages
    of eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. err... the codes dont work anymore... *grins*
    Elixir

    ReplyDelete
  5. been a while eh! elexir :p
    even the codes aint what they used to be :)

    ReplyDelete