Thursday, March 01, 2007

here-ness and now-ness revisited

Over time I know I get boring and repetitive. I talk about hereness and nowness in quite a few of my previous posts. I have also mentioned that you teach best what you need to learn most ... misquoted and so on in a dozen posts.

Yesterday I realized that for all my preaching, hereness and nowness is exactly what is missing in my life (proving the teaching-learning thingy right). Ever since i started working, I have always assumed that the hectic schedules are temporary. That there will come a time when, miraculously, work will be less, and I will have a load of time on my hands in which to learn swimming, join the taichi class near my house, check out the art of living course, resume meditation, re-start yoga, take up photography in a bigger way, write a book, paint, write poems, go para-sailing, go sky-diving, go meet my granny, call up my friends more often, join the british council library (and the american council library if it was here), watch all the classic movies, read all the classic novels, go to goa - this has been pending since October 2000, take parents on a holiday ... recent additions to the list include spending more time with my girl, work on some of my ideas (techie stuff), work on getting an MS ....etc.

It has finally dawned on me that this is how hectic work will always be. If anything it can only get more hectic ... and take up more and more of my personal time. Given this scenario, if I keep waiting for a time when I will have time to do these things, I will have gone through life having done nothing at all. It is time that I understand that this is how life will be and work out a schedule that will allow me to do the things that I really want to do in addition to my work.

Hereness and nowness begins with being here now.

5 comments:

  1. Well said... Gotta choose to be here now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thanks ...

    I marvel at how often I miss the obvious though :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Even more so considering how someone kept pointing it to you for years... I'm just gonna take all the credit for your sudden realisation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes maccav ... what happened to the other mail that you were supposed to send? should I assume that
    a) breakfast never got over
    b) the week wont end
    or
    C) you ran out of steam
    or even better
    D) I am right

    :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. E) I forgot, lone_wolf_dead, and when I finally remembered, I figured that it could wait for another week, since you probably wouldn't have time to read it anyway. Apparently, though, some people always find time to cultivate their narcissism... -sighs-.

    ReplyDelete