Wednesday, April 04, 2007

just so much cotton

was channel surfing over the weekend when I came across some mushy movie starring the same guy from serendipity ... and probably along the same lines too ... the name eludes me at this moment.

anyway, I was watching it ... cant quite call it that ... just that I had nothing better to do ... when I suddenly realized that the movie was filmed in Chicago ... and that made me sit up straight ...

later, as I walked out to buy myself some death-sticks, the thing was still on my mind - my reaction to the sight of Chicago. I spoke about new york once, in one of my previous posts and now, I realized that Chicago is probably as important to me.

The interesting thing is that I haven't really stayed in any one place for any length of time. As a result, though there are a lot of cities and towns that I like, there is no one place that is really really special.

"Home" is wherever my parents happen to be at any point in time ... and for a long time, my "place" would be wherever my rucksack happened to be lying.

At the end of it though, some places have touched me and others haven't.

Was trying to make some sense of this. Was wondering, how the relation works. How a place can leave a mark on a person ... and conversely, how a person can leave his or her mark on a place.

As I was walking, the wind picked up a little and some dust and paper scraps were blown around my feet. An analogy came to mind.

We are a lot like little wisps of cotton ... some wound tightly into balls, some just wisps that may come apart at any moment ... a few, somewhere in between a ball and a wisp.

And we go about life, wind blown. The balls not going as far as the wisps ... and as we touch things, we invariably pick up some stuff and we leave some stuff behind. The cotton analogy can go on and on ...

The conclusion though (keeping it short) is that when a place or a person really beckons, it is perhaps not so much about how attached you are to this place or person - it is about how much of yourself you left behind when you collided last.

4 comments:

  1. Very well written... Although I have not lived in too many places long enough, I could kind of relate to what you were coming out with ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and then there are some places/people who you meet for the first time and still feel nostalgic like you have some of you in that person/place. I love the cotton analogy - so very true of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. * like you have some part of you in that place/person

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Saumya .. for your comment as well as for reading the post - I know you don't like long posts :)

    Yes wookie .. so true.

    ReplyDelete