Thursday, July 12, 2007

gibran

i don't have anything specific to write. i am not even sure that i want to write right now. so, mentally i am prepared for a lengthy post.

"You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts. And when you can no longer dwell in the solitude of your heart you live in your lips and sound is a diversion and a pastime. And in much of your talking, thinking is half murdered. For thought is a bird if space, that in a cage of words may indeed unfold its wings but cannot fly" - Kahlil Gibran
Very true. And relevant to me these days.


Read this today on one of the blogs that I read pretty regularly. It is from the book - "the prophet". An amazing book. A must read. A must understand. A must remember too.

Every other one liner that has left a mark on me - for their truth as much as for the beauty of the phrasing - has been from Gibran.

"your pain is the breaking of a shell that contains your understanding" ... Gibran again touching you places that Michael Bolton asks permission for ("can I touch you there...")
What astounds me about his writing is the practicality of everything that he says. The lucidity with which he expresses himself ... and the fact that he can actually just sit somewhere and write it all down ...

I don't know whether it is true for others ... for myself, when I am knee deep in shit, I am as wise as Gibran ... or his prophet rather.

However, sitting at my desk over a cup of coffee, under a table lamp, with the fan whirring over my head and the mosquitoes buzzing around my ankles, the dense smoke from the incense sticks merging with the equally dense fumes from the cigarette and the aroma of the coffee bringing forth the signature essence that sort of screams "PEACE" and "CALM" and "HOME (alone)" ... I doubt if I could come up with such gems of wisdom.
Would you?

2 comments:

  1. Hey welcome into "Gibranism" :), actually still in awe of the first book I read of his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! yup .. got introduced to him kinda early ...

    ReplyDelete