Monday, July 23, 2007

turned on comment verification

I decided to turn on some word verification for the comments today.

What does this mean for those that take the time to comment on my blogs?

The only difference (as I understand it) is that you will need to type in some word that Google will throw at you like a doodle - just to make sure that there is a human at the other end writing out the comment. (You don't need to have a blogger account to comment.)

I am extremely sorry for this inconvenience. Every comment is valuable to me since it means that someone has taken the time not only to read what I write, but also, perhaps to think over it and then has made the effort to let me know what they thought. I really appreciate this a lot and making it even a little tougher was not an easy decision.

However, of late, I have been getting spurious comments from bots - very irritable.

The way I see it, these bummers have two options: They could either spend the money needed to create a better bot that can read doodles or they can spend money on getting a typist who is willing to go to different blogs and paste the same crap over and over again.

I am hoping more of "these bummers" will opt for the former rather than the latter ... wherein I can claim to have helped fund research on AI, handwriting recognition, pattern matching ... and a whole plethora of arcane terms that will serve to highlight my philanthropic and technically enlightened nature!!!

So, please bear with it (word verification for comments and my humility) and keep the comments coming ...

No comments:

Post a Comment