Thursday, December 20, 2007

rainy day

one of those days ... again.

last night, I dozed off listening to the sound of the rain ... I missed the sound that it makes when it beats down on a tin roof ... almost a constant background score for my childhood years. Here, I can't really hear it as it hits the concrete roof ... but I can hear it as it falls off the eaves into the little pools below ... plop ... plop ... ... plop.

There was a slight wind blowing as well. It wasn't too loud. You wouldn't have heard it unless you were alone perhaps ... no TV and no conversation to drown out the sound. It wasn't very cold ... but that sound really made me feel glad to be tucked in under the heavy cotton quilt.

Woke up early. Well rested. I sleep better when it is cold. With all the rain, there was one thing less to do this morning - I didn't have to water the plants. Opened the door to the terrace and stepped out to check what the day looked like. Overcast. The clouds looked too low and too heavy for comfort. Closed the door and tiptoed downstairs. It feels sacrilegious to break the silence in the mornings.

Brushed. Hunted for something clean to heat the water for the tea. Ground in some fresh pepper as the water boiled ... poured in a spoon of honey into the cup and the tea leaves into the sieve ... watched the water boil ... heard the bubbles as they rose to the surface and popped ... waited for the pepper to color the water ... just a little ... poured it over the tea leaves .... and smelt heaven.

A few minutes later, I found myself seated on my favourite side of the dining table ... looking out the window ... tea ... cigarette and a couple of salted biscuits. Contemplating the rain. Contemplating the mud.

15 minutes of peace ... 15 minutes of quiet ... 15 minutes of God.
In a Godless world.

No comments:

Post a Comment