Tuesday, March 07, 2006

generally rambling

What did I learn today that I did not know yesterday?

Our boss told us once that we do most of our learning in the subconcious… which is why, we end up answering the above question with an emphatic “nothing”, even though that is not really true.

That may be true because today, I had to chair a meeting and it came so naturally that at one point I was amazed that I was doing it. It is not like I have ever been particularly bashful or talking does not come naturally to me or anything … however, leading a team and chairing a meeting require a certain frame of mind … the willingness to take responsibility, the willingness to share the work, and be ready to just oversee it.

You have to be an engineer to understand just how difficult it can sometimes be to let go of work. When you have been doing something yourself all the time, all of a sudden giving something to another person and just overseeing it is very painful. To draw an analogy, think of the sculpture who has had an apprentice work for him for some time, someone who wants to finally become a sculptor himself. Irrespective of how well liked the apprentice may be, when he picks up the first piece of marble to carve it into something that the sculptor is working on, there will always be a sense of trepidateion, a sense of loss, and a sense of benevolence.

Knowledge divided is knowledge multiplied. (A lot like micro organisms I just realized). So, I am sure I have learnt something today, though I do not really know what it might be.

I just finished Scott Adams’ “God’s Debris”. An interesting piece of work, though I’ll admit it wasn’t earth shattering. It has been a while since a book last shook my foundations. I remember some of Ayan Rand’s work being that way. The last was probably Pirsig – yes the ever famous Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I am not sure what is the reason for this. Is it because I am more grounded? Perhaps I am more skeptical or cynical … Not sure.

This isn’t really going anywhere. Just me, walking the corridors of my mind.
Ummm … about time I went for a walk in the corridors outside my mind. Hope to catch you later.

2 comments: