Saturday, April 15, 2006

Cooking

In a universe where everything is geared towards greater and greater entropy, the fact that something as complex as our selves should exist is a contradiction. Of course, if for a moment, I were to step back in contrived humility, and put myself and the rest of mankind aside, we do notice that there are other examples... such as the planets, the stars, the galaxies, and almost everything else we see.

Also, we see the continuous interaction of opposites ... like a star finally becoming a supernova, and if heavy enough, also becoming a black hole .. etc etc.... our society, trying to get more and more orderly while constantly trying to avoid decadence and anti-social elements.

Not really going at a tangent here ... I was just thinking that perhaps why I find cooking so peaceful is because, it is an integral part of what we are. By-products of a cosmic kitchen.

There is nothing quite as enjoyable and satisfying as cooking. Perhaps those for whom it has become a chore or those who have a dead line and n number of mouths to feed may not agree. I generally cook for myself or a special few. No dead lines (except hunger), and only my mouth to feed.

After a hectic day at the office, churning out code, and designs and god knows what else, and sitting through endless meetings when you sometimes cant help but wonder if this is what god created man for, cooking is like touching base... connecting with your soul.

I don't cook by the watch. I am not one to use measuring cups and spoons and small scales ... I don't read recipie books .... I just follow my instinct and do what I want to do. What feels right. It gives me an opportunity to explore the intuitive side in me ... give it some leash, and strengthen it further.

When I am cooking though, the beauty of it is not this complex thought structure but the absence of all thought structures. The peace and quiet within the head ... no small voices jibbering for attention from within ... a feast of the senses .. the smell of the spices, the warmth of the stove, the sound of the dry chillies crackling in the oil, the sizzle of french fries getting fried, the smoothness of flowing cream, the smell of melting butter, the sting of onions, the stench of garlic ...

There is nothing quite like it .. wouldn't you agree?

1 comment:

  1. hehe, good thing u feel this way about cooking.
    Now ud understand if i expect u to do all the cooking forever.
    -Ammu

    ReplyDelete