Tuesday, February 27, 2007

a tribute

Way to go before Teacher's Day so it might be a little surprising to some that I should want to talk about them this early in the year.

Today, came home a little early (relatively), and as I concocted up my dinner - which was tougher than usual considering that the maid hasn't come in for four days in a row and the plates in the sink have stacked up till they now reach the tap - I started watching a movie called "Dangerous Minds".

It is about a teacher trying to teach in a rough neighborhood. It is a lot more. It reminded me of the teachers that I have had ... all the way from the first standard till I graduated.

Having grown up in a small town, I had the good fortune of having been taught by people who, for the most, were teachers because they chose to be so. People who cared so much about what they taught and about the students that, honestly, back then, it was sometimes painful. It is amazing how they touch our lives and contribute to making us what we are in such a big way.

I cannot really remember my big city school teachers with equal fondness ... my loss ... because they all seemed to have become teachers after they had failed to do all else and they seemed to be perpetual fountains of frustration than learning. Though, to be fair, even there, there were some that cared ... and yes they too are remembered with as much fondness and respect.

Well, anyway, the intent of this post, before I tried to remember my high school and later years, was to be about teachers and a tribute to them. So, I'll leave it that way though things have fizzled down a bit all of a sudden.

This is a tribute to every teacher -every teacher that teaches out of a love of teaching, and out of love for the students. And especially for those teachers that I remember so well ... for everything.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment