Tuesday, November 20, 2007

no readers

Not too many readers of late for my blog ... or maybe people are reading and not commenting.
Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that my posts have become rather sporadic too.
In fact, just to equal the number of posts that I wrote last year, I'll have to be pretty regular for whatever is left of this year.

Quite amazing really how fast the years fly by. I don't know whether this is true for others but I somehow feel that as a kid - right up to 10th standard - a year would stretch for ever. I'd get tired of being in the same class for what seemed like an eternity ... reading the same text books ... giving the same tests ... getting bored out of my bones .... in general.

From about the time I reached 11th, time has started flowing faster. The first sign of this was that around this time, for the first time I was unable to fit in everything that I wanted to do in 24 hours. This is about when I started cutting down on sleep in order to have more time for other stuff ... sometimes as less than 4 hours a day ... till I'd eventually start feeling feverish and catch up on sleep... perhaps about once a week. I couldn't imagine how anyone could possible sleep 8 hours in a day ... because that meant sleeping away one-third of a life that is way too short to begin with ... "we are like butterflies that flutter for a day and think it is eternity" to quote carl segan ...

Somehow, time never did slow down after that. All through engineering, the same problem remained. One new year eve hangover seemed to merge into the next in too brief a time. I thought then that perhaps this was because a semester was less boring than a full year ... though nothing really changed, perhaps it was the illusion of progress ... and having to study for 2 sets of exams in a year .. not to mention 2 set of holidays and "common-offs" that made the time fly by.

But here I am now, working ... at the same job many years at a time ... sleeping 8 hours again (much to my horror to make up for the allergies and stuff) ... no exams ... no holidays ... just work ... and yet ... time refuses to slow down. It is hurtling by at such a high speed that I am not even aware of the passing ... except for the attrition at the hairline thanks to the friction ...

So it is that time of the year again ... when you look back ... awe struck that another year has gone by ... and wonder ...

No comments:

Post a Comment