Thursday, November 22, 2007

not writing

Started going to the gym some a couple of weeks ago. This isn't the first time. Over the years, I have tried several times but eventually, the enthusiasm petered down every time. This time, I hope it lasts me my life time.

Finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired. The air quality here in Bangalore has been deteriorating over the years. The first couple of years at work, I didn't have to take a single day off for not feeling well. This year on the other hand has been particularly bad... since August, I have had to take off at least 3 times!!!

So, after being on medication for a while, decided to stop popping pills and try the gym again. Feeling good ... more of a mental thing :) ... couldn't sleep much last night since every joint in the body was paining. Also trying to get a little regular with everyday things such as sleeping and waking up ... and trying to sleep 8 hours a day till things get better ... already I can feel the improvement in that area ... I think in another couple of weeks I can again cut back a couple of hours ... 6 hours should be fine.

Haven't been reading much either of late ... things were rather hectic I guess. The unabridged version of Moby Dick that I had started reading again a couple of months ago is still stuck half way. The Gibran I'd lent out hasn't come back .. need to get that too ... picked up "The Tao of Physics" again. I really like that book ... sometimes.

The magic that some authors are able to bring forth in their books is that you can read the same book umpteen number of times and never get tired of it. The reason being that your interpretation of the contents depends a great deal on the state of your mind. Hence, depending on your frame of mind, each time you read the book, you realize something new ... or different from whatever you saw the last time.

When I come across a book like that, I like to buy it.
Then - though I don't do this very often myself - you can scribble notes as you read the book on the book itself ... and make sure that you date the notes. The next time you read, you can do the same again ... in that way, you get to see how your interpretation of the book changes with time. It is a really interesting way of realizing how our perceptions change with time. How, at times we are more mature ... and at times we are less. How, our situation at a particular time colors everything we see ... even though we don't realize it at the time.

I wish I could write something like that.
Something that isn't just nice to read ... but holds up a mirror to the reader. A reflection of what is in your eyes rather than mine ... a reflection of your thoughts ... a reflection of your feelings ... of your passions ... your beliefs ... your dreams ... your desires ... a reflection that shows everything that is not there to be seen in a mirror ... and a reflection that captures time and timelessness ... that in its ripples remembers the you that were, the you that you are and the you that will be ...

Now you know why I'll never be an author ...

3 comments:

  1. How, at times we are more mature ... and at times we are less. And the measure of the state of your maturity at a given time is determined by the supremely objective viewpoint that the present moment gives you? Perhaps you would like to write down the interpretations of your interpretations so as to determine in the future, once new insight has been gained, how the interpretation of your interpretations was influenced by your mindset at that particular moment?:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    on the other hand, perhaps you could take this to be an experiment of sorts, re-read the blog ... and then re-read your comment and let me know when, if ever, did I even insinuate that there would be any objectivity involved and when did I say that your perception of your self wont change :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blogs are too long to be re-read :p Plus, I know you well enough to know what your viewpoint on a given topic is, so I stand by my observation.

    ReplyDelete